What is the Unique Student Identifier?
The Unique Student Identifier (USI) is a number which will contain all of a student’s qualifications and results achieved through nationally recognised training from 1 January 2015. Students will have access to their USI account from 2016.
How do I apply for a USI?
You can either apply directly on the USI website, usi.gov.au and select the ‘Create a USI link’ or you can provide Australis College permission to apply for this on your behalf during your enrolment process.
Unique Student Identifier Privacy Notice
You are advised that and agree that you understand and consent that the personal information you provide in connection with an application for a USI:
- Is collected by the Student Identifiers Registrar for the purposes of:
- Applying for, verifying and giving a USI;
- Resolving problems with a USI; and
- Creating authenticated vocational education and training (VET) transcripts;
- May be disclosed to:
- Commonwealth and State/Territory government departments and agencies and statutory bodies performing functions relating to VET for:
- The purposes of administering and auditing Vocational Education and Training (VET), VET providers and VET programs;
- Education related policy and research purposes; and
- To assist in determining eligibility for training subsidies;
- VET Regulators to enable them to perform their VET regulatory functions;
- VET Admission Bodies for the purposes of administering VET and VET programs;
- Current and former Registered Training Organisations to enable them to deliver VET courses to the individual, meet their reporting obligations under the VET standards and government contracts and assist in determining eligibility for training subsidies;
- Schools for the purposes of delivering VET courses to the individual and reporting on these courses;
- The National Centre for Vocational Education Research for the purpose of creating authenticated VET transcripts, resolving problems with USIs and for the collection, preparation and auditing of national VET statistics;
- Researchers for education and training related research purposes;
- Any other person or agency that may be authorised or required by law to access the information;
- Any entity contractually engaged by the Student Identifiers Registrar to assist in the performance of his or her functions in the administration of the USI system; and
- Will not otherwise be disclosed without their consent unless authorised or required by or under law.
Privacy Policies and Complaints
You may also make a complaint to the Information Commissioner about an interference with privacy pursuant to the Privacy Act, which includes the following:
- Misuse or interference of or unauthorised collection, use, access, modification or disclosure of USIs; and
- A failure by us to destroy personal information collected by you only for the purpose of applying for a USI on your behalf.